Mission & History
- The original organization, Artists of Yardley, was founded in 2004 by a dedicated group of local artists. The group offered opportunities to collaborate, share, teach and learn to fellow artists. Expanding what was available to the whole community, and particularly developing young artists, was an important goal. The CAPS program was founded to provide kids with instruction and creative direction. The organization managed presentations, shows, and fun times in a casual atmosphere, using various sites to gather.
- In 2010, Artists of Yardley moved to its permanent home in the Janney House on the Patterson Farm and worked hard to bring it up to its current level of warmth and beauty. Located in the heart of Bucks County, the panoramic views of the surrounding farmland provide inspiration and delight for members and visitors alike.
- At that time Artists of Yardley incorporated as AOY Art Center. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to nurturing the creative spirit of the community by educating and encouraging individuals to experience, appreciate, and share in the arts. The various shows were developed, a partnership with Pennsbury High School was formed, adult and youth education, and kids camp programs were initiated and have grown every year. Programs and events are held throughout the year focused on both learning and enjoying.
- AOY has grown to over 250 members who range from beginning students to nationally known professional artists. Its programs are exciting and innovative and are taught by professional instructors. Throughout the year AOY offers many opportunities for artists to bring their work to the public including juried and non-juried shows, and indoor and outdoor fundraising events and social gatherings.
- AOY invites the community to participate. Be involved in this unique organization! Our monthly gatherings are lively and informative, a time to hear about what is going on with the group, discuss goals and plans, meet and get to know fellow artists. Meetings are open to the public and held in the AOY Art Center, 949 Mirror Lake Road, Yardley, PA on the second Wednesday of each month from September through June at 7:00 PM.
a lean, mean, creative machine. Office hours are currently suspended
due to COVID-19. Messages left at 215-493-1205 will be returned within one business day.
- To promote, celebrate, and popularize area artists.
- To elevate public awareness of visual arts in the community.
- To establish venues for shows and exhibitions.
- To share ideas and information through networking and discourse.
- To establish a contact point for local art collectors.
- To achieve creative growth as artists through education.
AOY Art Center is governed by a Board comprised of business and civic leaders from the community, artists and creative professionals, and local patrons of the arts. The Board meets 10 times a year (skipping December and July). Board committees include Board Development, Membership, Development, Shows, Speakers, and Planning. The Art Center is actively seeking new board and committee members with a passion for the arts, experience in resource development, and the time and energy to invest in the betterment of our community. Please contact Bette Sovinee, Coordinator, at 215-493-1205 if you are interested in serving on the Board or a committee.
- Mary Ellen Bornak Board Member Elect
- Susan Cohen Board Show Committee Chair
- Judy Curlee Board Speaker Series Committee Chair
- Sandra Davis Board Member Elect
- Daria Long Board Event Committee Chair
- Janis Schimsky Board Membership Committee Chair
- Nate Semmel Board Treasurer
- Alison Smith Board President
- Vacant Board Vice President
- Vacant Board Secretary
- Vacant Board Member
- Maggy Robinson President Emeritus and Development Committee Chair
- Governance and Board Development Alison Smith, Chair
- Development Maggy Robinson, Chair
- Shows Susan Cohen, Chair
- Speakers Judy Curlee, Chair